Thursday, October 7, 2010

Orientation week insight

During the orientation week, I found out that my class comprises of many awesome debaters, people who stood out all their high school and college lives. It's ok, I won't be beaten down just because I wasn't as bright as they were. Everyone shines differently, I know that someday I'll find the light that belongs to me.

Also, my lecturers were all very intimidating, it's good in a way, you know how Malaysian students has been trained to be passive and I can safely say that, we have been spoonfed all our primary and secondary schools lives. Let me assure you, there's no such thing anymore in university, at least not in Taylor's Law School/University of Reading. Basically, it's all about working in a team/group and also all the hardwork one is willing to put in.

It's a program which trains all of us law students to be vocal, competitive, all-rounded and most importantly, to be able to survive in the future. There are many law graduates nowadays, and everyone is just about the same, what makes them different is their ability to shine in their own ways, and I believe that's what the employer sees in a potential candidate.

Nowadays, it's not all about attending classes, doing assignments and cramming for exams anymore, no more the life of a geek. We are also required to be active in clubs and societies ( Law Society, Mooting, Lexicon Newsletter & Community Service in my case). Well, like what Mr. Gerald from the LASC team said, it's better to be involved in one club and contribute as best as we can, rather than be what majority did in high school, that is to join everything and be active in nothing.

I'm not so sure about which to join though, I myself love to write, and I used to be in Leo Club, those were the days where we would go around visiting Orphanage/Old Folks Home. Sorry, it was a sudden pang of nostalgia that stroke me. Now, I really miss high school :(. Miss those days I used to spend with my friends who are now basically scattered all over the world BUT Malaysia :(.

Today marks the end of the Orientation week, basically everything were already explained by the lecturers, my classmates were all holding books already (including me of course), but I didn't get the one that's most recommended though. It's ok because everything about law is still very new to me, I'll just start reading and get used to the idea of it :). After all, I'm just 'a piece of white paper', it's easier to write on a white paper :X

I'm getting to know everyone in the course, and some seniors greeted us today. I also found out a lot about other seniors who totally shone during their years with Taylor's. Like what one of them said, you can be a queen of anything, and you can also be a conqueror. Just by hearing about what she said, I'm determined to conquer my fear in university. After all, university does not encourage passiveness, it's all about opening up, taking on challenges and overcome yourself.

Hmm, I think it's enough for now, I better get back to reading the interesting case report I was reading, I'm taking a lot of time in reading it, because everything is just so new and so formal. I'm a slow reader :X

Watch other people make mistake and learn from it, or you could make the unwise decision yourself and outgrow it, so that you won't make the same mistake anymore. :) - Mr. Gerald

Welcome failures into our lives. It's how we grow. What matters is not that you failed, but that you recovered. :) - MIT

What does not destroy me or make me lose my belief, will only make me stronger and tougher. :) - Me

0 comment beans:

Post a Comment

Related Posts with Thumbnails